Bingo's Bounty Vegetables for Dogs

Farm Fresh Goodness for Your Furry Friends

Sidebar
Menu
Nov 2010

Foods To Avoid

Once you start becoming comfortable with making homemade dog food, the desire to “try something new and different” is often overwhelming. There are many vegetables for dogs out there that are very good for them and, as your dog begins to truly enjoy your efforts, you may find yourself wanting to give him a wide variety of tasty foods. That is perfectly fine as long as you know that there are certain foods that are dangerous to dogs, and can even be fatal.


Onions/Garlic


Onions and garlic both contain thiosulphate which can cause autoimmune hemolytic anemia, a deadly disease in which the body attacks its own blood cells. Onions contain more thiosulphate than garlic and should never be fed. While garlic has considerable healing properties, caution must be taken not to over feed it. We recommend no more than 1/8 teaspoon per pound of food 3 to 4 days a week. Thiosulphate is especially dangerous to dogs suffering from renal failure, so avoid giving garlic to dogs with kidney damage.


Chocolate


Chocolate contains a chemical known as theobromine, which is a naturally occurring stimulant found in cocoa beans. The darker the chocolate, the more theobromine it contains and the more deadly it is to your dog. Accidents can happen, especially around the holidays, so always take your dog to a veterinarian the moment you realize he has eaten chocolate. While the symptoms (staggering, labored breathing, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, tremors, fever) may not show up for hours, if left untreated your dog could die.


Raisins/Grapes


Dogs can develop renal failure by eating either raisins or grapes. Even ingesting small amounts of either over a long period of time can result in kidney damage. They can be deadly in large quantities. Avoid feeding them.
WARNING - The company Halo sells a product called “Daily Greens” which contains raisins. When contacted about this potentially dangerous ingredient they stated:

“Indeed, raisins can be toxic to some dogs, however, those dogs must ingest a fairly large quantity to become ill. The lowest documented amount of raisins to cause kidney failure is approximately 10 raisins per 1 pound of body weight. There have been no cases of kidney failure documented by the ingestion of just one raisin.
Our Daily Greens have more than 40 different ingredients in each small tablet and throughout the entire jar there is not even one whole raisin. We add raisins in our formulation because they are known to be high in several wonderful antioxidants. Pets across the country have been thriving on our Daily Greens for years now and we truly believe each ingredient to be an integral part of their success.
Many natural practitioners and veterinarians, both holistic and traditional, recommend our Daily Greens without hesitation. In fact, they report that pets with kidney and urinary problems see especially wonderful results with them.”

My response is this: If raisins “can be toxic to some dogs”... and there is ...”not even one whole raisin” in your formula, why put it in there at all? Can one single raisin really give our dogs “wonderful antioxidants”? No thank you, I will pass.


Avocados


Avocados (fruit, pit and tree) contain a toxic component called persin which can damage the heart and lungs of your dog. Even small amounts can trigger stomach upset, vomiting and pancreatitis. Do not allow your dog to eat avocados.


Nuts


Nuts as a group can be indigestible to dogs, so nutritionally they offer nothing for them. In addition, macadamia nuts can cause weakness, muscle tremors, paralysis and even death. Walnuts have been known to cause upset stomachs and diarrhea. I have personally known one dog who became violent ill after eating almonds. It is simply wise to avoid nuts altogether. Peanut butter is fine to feed as a treat, but only in small amounts.


Nutmeg


This tropical spice has been known to cause tremors, seizures and death. Do not feed your dog nutmeg.


Xylitol


Xylitol is a natural sweetener made from birch, raspberries, plums and corn. It is most often found in gum, sugar free candies and baked goods. It can be fatal to dogs in as little as 30 minutes as it creates a rapid drop in blood sugar levels. Keep all products containing xylitol away from your dog.


Raw Salmon


Salmon Poisoning Disease (SPD) is caused from the infection by a rickettsial organism, Neorickettsia helminthoeca. It is primarily a problem in the Pacific Northwest and California, but if you feed a raw meat diet, it can be a problem anywhere. It is unusual in that the rickettsial organism does not directly infect your dog but is instead carried by a parasite, often a flatworm or fluke. Symptoms do not appear until 5-7 days after eating the fish and include lethargy and anorexia. Persistent vomiting appears by the fourth day, followed by bloody diarrhea. Left untreated, SPD has a mortality rate of 90%. It is best to avoid feeding raw salmon altogether.


Alcohol


Dogs get more than just drunk on alcohol, they can die. The amount ingested compared to the weight of the dog will determine the level of poisoning, so even a small amount can cause a serious problem in a small dog. Keep all alcoholic beverages safely away from your dog.


Fruit Pits


The majority of fruit pits contain cyanide which is poisonous. While eating a few apple seeds will not endanger your dog, the effects of cyanide poisoning can accumulate over time if your dog eats them regularly. Never allow your dog to chew on fruit pits as they can ingest cyanide without swallowing the pit. Choking can occur if they do try to swallow the pit.


Mushrooms


Mushroom toxicity does occur in dogs and can be fatal if certain types of mushrooms are eaten. Amanita phalloides is the most common toxic species in the US, but other Amanita species can be fatal as well. Symptoms include abdominal pain, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea and convulsions. Even if death does not occur, your dog could suffer both liver and kidney damage.


Raw Liver


Raw liver or too much cooked liver (three or more servings per week) can lead to a vitamin A toxicity. This can lead to skeletal deformities, excessive bone growth on the elbows and spine, weight loss and anorexia.
Did you know...?